Nintendo went into great detail on the new Super Smash Bros during its E3 Direct, revealing new characters and major improvements over past iterations.
One of the most significant announcements and goals of Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the inclusion of every character that has ever been in the franchise. The roster will start small, but players will be able to unlock additional characters as the game progresses. A full list of the included fighters can be found below.
Two new characters are coming to Smash: the already-announced Inklings and Ridley, from the Metroid series.
Inklings will have both a male and female version, along with eight different outfits and colors. The Inklings offer a new take on Smash combat, as they will need to recharge their ink by hiding in that already sprayed, following on from the core mechanics in Splatoon. The Inklings will also deal more damage to those opponents they have previously sprayed in ink. Meanwhile, Samus’s arch rival Ridley is also making his first showing as a playable character. Previously, Ridley could only be found in the background of the Metroid stage.
A list of general improvements and changes, too, were revealed:
- Mario now has Cappy,
- Link’s bomb can be remotely detonated,
- Ike and Bayonetta, along with others, will have different costumes, voice acting, and sound effects,
- Bowser’s giga form will be much larger,
- Mega Man’s final smash will now include Proto Man and Bass,
- Pikachu will have a male and female version,
- Characters including Captain Falcon will trigger a slow motion attack when they land a strong attack,
- Samus can charge her arm cannon while jumping,
- Smash balls will now have a fake counter part that explodes when damaged,
- The game will sport over 50 assist trophies, featuring a new one coming with the Inklings.
The game will also feature the return of echo fighters, with the addition of Daisy, who offers an evolution on Peach’s style of play.
Controls and combat have been updated, too:
- Dodging can now be performed in air, along with slower recovery for multiple dodges,
- Short hop attacks can be executed by pressing A + Jump for a quick air attack,
- Perfect guarding will now be performed when releasing the shield,
- Increased damage in one-versus-one matches,
- During timed battles, the winning character will periodically shine so people know who to attack.
GameCube controller support has been extended to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, as well as new amiibo integration. Daisy, Inkling, and Ridley will be getting new amiibos when the game launches, too.
The full list of characters in game that was shown at the E3 Direct will be:
- Donkey Kong
- Meta Knight
- Ice Climbers
- Captain Falcon
- Zero Suit Samus
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Pokemon Trainer
- Diddy Kong
- Mr Game & Watch
- Dr. Mario
- Duck Hunt
- Dark Pit
- Bowser Jr.
- Toon Link
- Young Link
- King Dedede
- Rosalina & Luma
- Mii Brawler
- Mii Swordfighter
- Mii Gunner
- Little Mac
- Mega Man
Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be available on Switch from December 7, 2018.